To ensure your experience at Southern Cross Station is as
enjoyable as possible, please take note of the following safety and
- Plan your journey ahead
- Avoid running throughout the station, particularly when it is
- Bicycle riding, skateboarding and rollerblading is not permitted
within the station
- By law, smoking is prohibited in all covered areas at the
Station, including platforms. Penalties apply.
- Look out for moving vehicles
- Don't run up or down the escalator
- Hold onto the handrail at all times
- Stand facing forward
- Ensure Children are adequately supervised at all times
- Passengers carrying bulky or heavy luggage, please use the
- Do not take station luggage trolleys onto escalators
- Keep loose clothing/long dresses etc clear of steps and sides
Don't rest objects on the handrail
- Stand left of the escalator, clear of the sides and within the
- Walk off promptly and immediately move clear from the escalator
Safety around Trains
- When waiting for the train, stand behind the yellow line at all
- Mind the gap between the train and the platform
- Do not enter track area. Not only is crossing the tracks
extremely dangerous, it is also illegal. Penalties apply.
- Never retrieve an object on the tracks- ask a station staff
member for assistance
- Do not run on platforms, especially near the edge.
SECURITY AT THE STATION
IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING.
Suspicious activity - If you see someone acting
suspiciously, see smoke, or witness anything unusual, immediately
tell a station staff member or call security - 03 9619 1624
Unattended packages/luggage - If you find an
unattended package or luggage, tell a station staff member or call
security - 03 9619 1624. If you see someone leave a package,
politely bring it to their attention.
Report crime immediately - Whether you are a
witness or a victim of a crime, notify security immediately or
In the event of an emergency within
the station, listen to warning alarms, announcements and follow
trained station employees.
Keep yourself and your belongings safe
- Keep your belongings with you at all times
- Conceal expensive electronic equipment and jewellery
- Don't display large amounts of cash
- Be cautious when using ATMs
Security, Transit Police and Protective Service Officer's patrol
the station and platforms and can help you with any safety concerns.